May 19, 2010

Peace Lily

Spath. Family, Aracae. Genus, Spathiphyllum. Evergreen. (Supposedly.) 



Last spring, I acquired a peace lily through unfortunate circumstances--it was a sympathy plant sent to my grandmother's memorial service. Peace lilies are whiny. Go a day without watering them, they wilt; water them a bit too much, they wilt. After the blooms that had been the plant's selling point died, none came to replace them. None. For months it has been the humorless sentinel of my living room, the receptacle of many a resentful late-night pour from my water glass on the way down to bed. 


Now, on the one year anniversary of my grandmother's death: the flowers have returned. Four white cups nodding their nubbled heads toward the sunlight, with three more buds curled and waiting. 


Ah, deadlines. My editor at Crown is looking forward to seeing the complete MS of Don't Kill the Birthday Girl. Translation? I have 15 days to fine-tune 15,000 words. 


When my grandmother heard about the book deal, she said, "Finally, Sandra. Finally, these allergies do you some good!"


You know what, world? I'll take my signs where I can find them. 

6 comments:

Heart in Seville said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Just saw you present tonight at Legal Art in Miami. You are a fabulous speaker and surely a wonderful writer. I can hear it in your "voice" ;-)

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

BTW, the post from Heart in Seville was mine. I accidentally posted from a defunct account.

Gene Myers said...

This blog is still great...Like the little changes, looks good.
gene

Maggie May said...

I take mine there-anywhere- also.

Christopher said...

Yeah, seems pretty humourless to me. Not very fun